Position Title: Staff Accountant
Location: Coeur d’Alene or Vancouver, BC Corporate Offices
Purpose: Operate functions of the financial reporting processes, ensuring that work is performed in accordance with company policies, procedures, systems of internal controls and regulatory compliance.
Reports To: Senior Accountant, Corporate
Hecla Mining Company (NYSE:HL) is the largest primary silver producer in the United States. We have been in business for more than 130 years and are the oldest NYSE-listed precious metals mining company in North America. Established in 1891, Hecla is headquartered in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and has a sister office in Vancouver, B.C. The Company’s common stock has been traded on the New York Stock Exchange for over 50 years and our philosophy is to operate mines safely by promoting a deeply rooted value-based culture, leveraging mining skills developed over the Company’s long history, and applying innovative new practices. Hecla’s responsibility is to the safety and health of our people, the communities we call home, and the environment we operate in.
We strive to provide a wholesome, supportive, fair, and respectful work environment. Hecla’s compensation and benefit plans are highly competitive, and our performance-based compensation programs recognize and reward employee contributions and excellence. Join more than 1,600 Hecla employees in pursuit of a rewarding career in some of North America’s most beautiful locations.
The Staff Accountant works closely with the accounting team to execute the day-to-day needs of Hecla’s corporate accounting function. This role is ideal for those who are looking to grow their skillset within the finance and accounting function of a large business, and is also continuously looking to deliver value to Hecla and our employees. This position is open to candidates who can work in either our Coeur d’Alene or Vancouver, BC Corporate Offices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Work closely with the accounting team on the financial statement preparation close process
- Prepare account and bank reconciliations
- Record payroll data into the business system
- Prepare journal entries at month end for the corporate ledger and other business units
- Maintain integrity and periodic clearing of inter-company accounts
- Review weekly payment preparations to ensure proper support and authorization
- Adhere to monthly close schedule to ensure accurate and timely completion of work
- Work with operations accountants in relevant topics
- Work with other site finance managers as needed
- Gains proficiency in the use of ERP, working frequently with IT for performance and troubleshooting
- Performs other responsibilities as needed
Self-motivated, with the ability work independently, and work effectively within team structures
- Able to organize and perform a variety of projects, tasks and activities, in an accurate and timely manner
- Able to provide creative insight and problem solving
- Able to demonstrate discretion and discernment in all business matters
Education & Credentials:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related discipline
- One to two years of experience in accounting or financial reporting
- Licensed CPA or working towards a CPA designation, is helpful
- Practical knowledge of the mining industry and/or manufacturing processes, is helpful
- Experience with preparing presentations and reports, is helpful
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or English and French, is helpful
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org