About the Position
The Mill Superintendent is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to Mill Operations, ensuring that production goals are achieved at optimum efficiency and minimum cost while maximizing production rates of ore and recovery of metals, directing the Mill technical groups to maximize availability and optimize process performance, all consistent with safe operating procedures, applicable laws and sound business practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs overall Mill operations in a manner which meets safety, environmental, efficiency and cost objectives while maximizing production rates of ore and recovery of metals.
- Directs a safety program which establishes in each supervisor, professional and operating employee the expectation of working injury-free – setting the example for others to follow – and provides the skills and ability to do so through adequate training.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety and environmental regulations; analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems, per the grievance procedure as detailed in the collective bargaining agreement; initiates or suggests plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals.
- As a key member of the Lucky Friday management team, collaborates closely with other members of the senior management team in achieving overall Lucky Friday operation goals and objectives, and conferring with management personnel to establish production and quality control standards.
- Maintains courteous, professional relationships with company hourly and staff employees, suppliers, customers, and government agencies.
- Coordinates production activities with procurement, maintenance, and engineering activities to obtain optimum production and utilization of human resources, machines, and equipment.
- Coordinates activities with outside contractors, suppliers, and vendors to assure that the operation is cost effectively purchasing goods and services.
- Provides overall Mill management including direction of the Mill technical groups and Assay Lab to maximize availability and optimize process performance;
- Develops a participative work environment that actively engages supervision, professionals, and hourly operating personnel within the Concentrator as well as the inclusion of Hecla personnel from other Lucky Friday departments as appropriate.
- Performs project work as assigned, including various activities as delegated by the VP & General Manage and/or Operations Manager.
- Provides the proper framework and working environment for positive hourly and salaried employee relations.
- Directs Mill supervision in the training and education of hourly operating employees in order to ensure flexible and versatile skill sets that will maximize performance and minimize the impact of crew fluctuations due to vacations and other days off for crew members.
- Continuously oversees the performance of Mill supervision and hourly operating employees with respect to established job performance standards.
- Ensures that appropriate controls are utilized to make certain that production, recovery and cost objectives are met; implements operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve performance.
- Prepares and oversees Mill operations budgets, reviewing and authorizing expenditures, and ensuring that budgets are maintained within established limits.
- Administers HR policies and the collective bargaining agreement to ensure consistent compliance; investigates problems and grievances in order to achieve effective resolution, referring unresolved problems or grievances to site HR and the Operations Manager for advice and counsel.
- Oversees supervision of tailings pond facilities in a manner which meets overall Mill Department objectives.
- Oversees supervision of water treatment plant facilities in a manner which meets overall Environmental Department objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in metallurgy, chemical engineering, or other relevant technical discipline – advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years related experience in mining, metallurgy or mineral processing industry or similar relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, & MS Project).
- Knowledge of safety, health and environmental methods, rules, regulations and procedures, and related behavioral competencies.
- Knowledge of metallurgical science, practices, and principles. Knowledge of minerals processing technology.
- Knowledge of developing technology, preferably specific knowledge of the mineral/metals business.
Hecla Mining Company (NYSE:HL) is the largest silver producer in the United States. In addition to operating mines in Alaska (Greens Creek), Idaho (Lucky Friday), and Quebec, Canada (Casa Berardi) the Company owns a number of exploration properties and pre-development projects in world-class silver and gold mining districts throughout North America. Established in 1891, Hecla is headquartered in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and has a sister office in Vancouver, B.C. The Company’s common stock has been traded on the New York Stock Exchange for over 50 years. Lucky Friday is a deep underground silver, lead, and zinc mine located in the Coeur d’Alene Mining District in northern Idaho. The mine began operating in 1942 and celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2017. Thanks to the #4 Shaft project which is now complete and operational, the mine is expected to have another 20-30 years of mine life. Lucky Friday is located one mile east of Mullan, Idaho, and is adjacent to U.S. Interstate 90.
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is pleased to offer competitive compensation commensurate with education and experience, and a comprehensive benefits program.
Interested candidates must possess or be able to obtain authorization to work in the United States. Applications and/or resumes may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 208.545.3327, or mailed to:
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine
P.O. Box 31
Mullan, ID 83846
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com