The Geotechnical Engineer provides technical expertise and support through geotechnical engineering activities to the mining operation.
Job duties include:
- Monitor and report on seismic activity at the mine, as well as provide guidance to mine operations.
- Responsible for review of plans and providing expertise in order to apply rock mechanics to underground mine engineering designs.
- Participate in various ground support, modelling, and planning projects.
- Provide geotechnical engineering expertise, support, and review.
- Prepare geomechanical and seismic risk
- Monitor and oversee quality control and testing programs.
- Monitor the operation and effectiveness of the seismic monitoring system and protocols.
- Install, maintain, read & interpret geotechnical instrument monitoring systems, including seismic monitoring instruments.
- Perform rock bolt pull testing.
- Prepare and present reports.
- Assist with annual review of the ground control management plan.
- Work with external organizations to conduct investigations and research.
- Manage contractors and consultants.
- Participates in the development of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assist with forecasts, budgets, and funding requests.
- Assist with site geotechnical training.
- Make recommendations for research and development initiatives.
- Required to respond to seismic alerts and events during off hours when designated on-call.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Mining Engineering, or other relevant technical discipline. Preference will be given to those candidates with a degree in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Professional Engineer designation preferred.
- Experience in mining, metallurgy or mineral processing industry or similar relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of mining methodology, mining equipment, hydrology, and geotechnical engineering.
- Ability to perform technical audits, review complex engineering plans, evaluate geological data, and review engineering and economic fundamentals supporting operations and exploration.
- Computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, & MS Project) and basic skills with AutoCAD. Formal training for AutoCAD or Civil3D software is a plus.
- Familiar with rock mechanics software.
- Must be able to conduct 3D design modeling.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills.
- Being a self-starter is essential.
- Detail-orientated and ability to multi-task.
- Good organizational/planning skills.
- Good analytical and statistical skills.
ABOUT HECLA MINING COMPANY AND THE LUCKY FRIDAY MINE
Hecla Mining Company (NYSE:HL) is the largest silver producer in the United States. In addition to operating mines in Alaska (Greens Creek), Idaho (Lucky Friday), and Quebec, Canada (Casa Berardi) the Company owns a number of exploration properties and pre-development projects in world-class silver and gold mining districts throughout North America.
Established in 1891, Hecla is headquartered in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and has a sister office in Vancouver, B.C. The Company’s common stock has been traded on the New York Stock Exchange for over 50 years.
The Lucky Friday is a deep underground silver, lead, and zinc mine located in the Coeur d’Alene Mining District in northern Idaho. The mine began operating in 1942 and celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2017. Thanks to the #4 Shaft project which is now complete and operational, the mine is expected to have another 20-30 years of mine life. Lucky Friday is located one mile east of Mullan, Idaho, and is adjacent to U.S. Interstate 90.
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is pleased to offer competitive compensation commensurate with education and experience, and a comprehensive benefits program.
Interested candidates must possess or be able to obtain authorization to work in the United States. Applications and/or resumes may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com or faxed to 208.545.3327.
Hecla Limited, Lucky Friday Mine is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Visit our website at www.hecla.com for more information about Hecla and the Lucky Friday Mine.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org